Friday, September 12, 2014

Thrift Shopping

Thrift shopping at times feels like a finely tuned skill.  You search for the racks trying to find that great buy or piece of clothing that fits perfectly.  You have to decide if you're willing to take a risk on electronics not working, or on a potential designer bag being fake.  But the payoff can be great.  (A designer sweater that retails for almost $100, practically new for $15?  Yes, please!)

I feel like thrift shops are still overcoming a stigma of being a place where people dump their worn out clothing and electronics to get a tax write-off rather than just throw it out.  Now I'm not going to lie--there are SOME things that even I refuse to buy in thrift stores because it just weirds me out.  (For example, underwear and swimsuits.)  If you're willing to look through the racks or luck out and find a REALLY good thrift store, they'll have done a lot of the work for you and only the good items make it out onto the floor.  Take my trip out yesterday for example:  They've started putting out coats and sweaters onto the floor.  Some of the sweaters were a little pilly, but in general they were all in good shape.  The coats were pretty much spotless and in most cases still poofy.  I got 2 name brand sweaters that either one would normally around $100 minimum, and paid $14 for both.  They are both in pristine condition, although they also break my rule of no hand wash only anything.  (Because let's face it.  Hand wash only = never getting washed.)

Don't worry folks, I plan on showing off my finds.  Like I've said before, the hubs and I recently moved and getting a full length mirror is on my to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment