Monday, September 15, 2014

Running on a Budget

Like a lot of people, I am currently unemployed.  Fortunately my husband has a job that allows me to take my time to find the right job for me and the career path that I want.  This also means that I have to run on a budget, and unfortunately it's the kind of hobby that can get expensive really fast.  From races that I've run and researched in my area, a half marathon is around $100, a 5k is around $40, and a 10k can hover right around $50.  Running gear can also get dramatically expensive--getting running shoes at a running store are at least $100, running shirts at discount retailers like Target or TJ Maxx can run from $15-$20, and a decent pair of running tights are at least $25.  

I'm a self-proclaimed shopaholic, but within reason and I love a good deal.  Before I go into my tips on how to save some money on running gear, I will say I have not been compensated by most of these companies.  (There are a few that I have referral links for though, which I will note.)  This is research I have done myself over the two years I've been running.

  • Stores like Nordstrom Rack, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are a GREAT place to find inexpensive name brand running gear.  I've been able to find a Brooks rain jacket for $25 (normally $85) because they discontinued the color, but not the style.  I also bought my husband a running outfit--shirt, shorts and socks for $45 when normally it would be at least double that in a running store.  
  • Get on email lists!  Retailers like Moving Comfort, Nike and Athleta have sales a couple of times a year, and some will give you discounts for your birthday!  Athleta is always one of my go-to websites and stores when they have their extra discount sales after New Year's and mid-summer.  
  • Some other retailers that have jumped on the inexpensive running gear band wagon include:  Target, Walmart, and Old Navy.
  • Runningwarehouse.com is a great website that has free two day shipping and 90 day returns (although if you wear something, you can exchange it for the same product or get store credit.)  I definitely recommend going this route if you have already been fitted for running shoes and know what you like.
  • Check out flash sale sites (that all offer referral credit for me by giving you these links) like RueLaLa, Hautelook and especially Left Lane Sports.  Flash sale sites work by having sales for a set amount of time, usually 2 or 3 days.  Left Lane is a little different because they have flash sales, but they also have everyday discounts on current and discontinued merchandise from big name retailers.  (They also focus on a wide range of sports, so not just running.)  I do recommend doing your research before actually buying from these sites, since sometimes they can still be overpriced compared to other retailers.
  • Again, thrift stores are great too!  But know where your comfort level is for what you're willing to buy.  Some people might be creeped out by buying sports bras at a thrift store, me not so much but I draw the line at running tights.  Be sure to wash everything before you wear it out for a run, and even take a shower after you've tried on clothes at thrift stores.  You don't know where it's been!
What tips do you have on finding inexpensive running gear?  What are some good deals you've found?

No comments:

Post a Comment