Sunday, September 14, 2014

Father's Day 8k

So, my race after the Jingle All the Way 8k was the Father's Day 8k which I naturally ran with my Dad.  The catch with this race was that my Dad and I did zero training, as it was the day after a 10 day trip to Italy.  So essentially, we carb loaded the entire time we were there.  And all the food was just as delicious as it was beautiful!  Case in point:

Pasta Carbonara, where the sauce is inside the ravioli!
I asked for cold coffee with nutella.  What came was essentially an ice cream sundae, for breakfast.
Needless to say, my Dad and I did more eating than running on the trip.  But there was a lot of walking and hiking.  We hiked up Mount Vesuvius...
That's Naples off in the distance
We walked around Rome, Sorrento and hiked all the way to the top of Capri.
All of Capri, while we were waiting for the funicular
Despite all the walking, hiking and carb loading my Dad and I both were dragging throughout the whole race.  It was humid, we were jetlagged and probably also dehydrated so we were just dragging along the whole course.  Besides that, the course was fun.  It was a gravelly path alongside the C&O Canal towpath in Georgetown.  You had to watch where you stepped, but that's to be expected with an unpaved trail.  The race was well organized, with packet pickup just before the race and parking less than a 5 minute walk from the starting and finishing area.  After finishing, we got Georgetown cupcakes which tasted amazing.  My Dad and I didn't have the best finishing time for the distance (1:07:08) but just finishing was enough for us!  

No comments:

Post a Comment