Thursday, September 18, 2014

Coach Restore #3

Typically when I go thrift shopping I look for a quick and easy Coach bag restore.  (The thrift stores I frequent usually have something.)  After lots of practice and a plethora of research I've gotten pretty good at authenticating on the spot but I always get a second opinion.  I came across this one last week and I practically recognized it right away.  It was a small bag called a dinky.  (Yes, the name made me giggle in the store once I realized what I had.)  It was in pretty good shape to begin with, so I figured it would be a quick turnaround.  



The corners were in good shape, so I figured all it would need was just a bath and some conditioning and it would be good to go.  I was mostly right.  This one had a little surprise--something spilled inside and sunk through the bag to the back of it.  I was surprised to find blue all over the paper towels I had shoved inside to help with the drying process and to reshape the bag.  And it somehow leaked out to the back of the bag.  Thankfully, all it took was a quick wipe with some vinegar and it was good as new!  I then focused on shining up the brass hardware, which required some elbow grease and patience.  (And a knife to help remove it from the bag.)  After that I just applied conditioner and shoved some newsprint inside to help it maintain its shape.  And ta-da! 
A brand new looking bag at a fraction of the cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment