Saturday, September 13, 2014

Another Running milestone in one week?!

One thing I love about being back in the DC/Baltimore area, is that I'm much closer to my parents.  (Before I was 4-5 hours away, so going to see them was always an ordeal.)  Just a quick 50 minute drive, and I'm back home.  One of the added bonuses, I get to go running with my Dad.  Right now he's training for his first half marathon in November.  Granted until this week my longest run was not too much further than a 5k, I bit the bullet when he said he has to run 7 miles.  "...yeah...sure I can do that!"  

My mind said yes, my body said no.  But for once, I wasn't upset about it.  I slogged through 6.35 miles at my slowest pace in ages--I averaged 14:02, when normally my first mile in races is between 9:30 and 10:00.  But I wasn't upset about it.  Why?  Because I was just happy to say that I ran over 6 miles today.  I ran a 10k because I wanted to, and for once my body was mostly cooperative.  It was a beautiful day--sunny, but the trail was shady.  Towards the end it felt warm, but had a cool breeze that felt wonderful.  In short, the perfect weather every runner hopes for when they lace up their shoes.  

It was just the kick in the pants I needed to get back outside for my runs after spending my entire summer on a treadmill.  I'm not sure why I stopped, probably because it was just easier to hop on a treadmill and go for a run rather than worry about routes and if I have everything I need.  Now my next goal is to work on making a route around my new neighborhood.  Thankfully it looks like the weather next week will be cooperative--woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment