Tuesday, September 9, 2014

My First Race Ever!

I started running in April 2012 when I was in graduate school to get my masters in education, and wanted to stop going to a gym.  (I had been going to an all women's gym, but I was frustrated with the hours and the management to be quite honest.)  Soon afterwards, I was hooked and my husband and I invested in a treadmill.  My first race was the Roanoke Drumstick Dash that Thanksgiving (which started a tradition of running a race Thanksgiving morning.)  

It was a lot of fun, and it benefited the local rescue mission ministry.  The course itself went through downtown Roanoke, along some of the scenic parts including the local art museum and finished at Center in the Square.   I managed to finish the race in 35:42, which still isn't bad for me!
After the race, we were all ravenous since we only had a light breakfast before the race to avoid gastro distress.  My husband and I suggested we all go to Thelma's Chicken and Waffles (a Roanoke institution) and had one of the best meals ever leading into a delicious Thanksgiving dinner.  (We only managed to get back there once when we were in the process of moving out of our house in Blacksburg.)  
My next race?  Jingle all the Way 8k in Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment