Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Racing in the Rain

The majority of races happen rain or shine.  Occasionally they'll be cancelled or even shortened due to extreme weather conditions--thunderstorms, snow, and heat.  The Celtic Solstice that I ran last December is notorious for still going on during a major snowstorm in 2009.  Last year during the LA Marathon the temperatures hit 88 degrees and 36 people were taken to the hospital.  Last year's Marine Corp Marathon still went on despite the rain and it was unpleasant for runners (myself included), and messed up the metal detectors at the marathon security checkpoints.

So in perspective rain shouldn't be a big deal if you know how to prepare for it.  My first race of the year is on Sunday (a St Patrick's Day 5k in Baltimore) and the forecast keeps hinting that it might be rainy.  Like a lot of people, I don't like being out in the rain.  But when there's a race involved, I'll suck it up and go.  There are some things you can do to make the situation more tolerable.


- Invest in a running rain jacket.  I have an older version of this one from Brooks that I found at TJ Maxx.  (Definitely a great place to start looking!)  They keep the rain out and are still breathable so it stays comfortable throughout the run.

- Body glide up your feet and focus between your toes and any places you're prone to hot spots.  They will get wet at some point, and the body glide will help keep blisters from forming.  (It can be found at any running store.)

- Wear moisture wicking clothing and a baseball cap.  Yeah, you're going to get wet, but it'll help keep you slightly more comfortable during the run especially if it happens to slow down or stop during or after the race.  The baseball cap will help keep rain out of your eyes.

-Stay dry as long as possible pre-race.  Find an overhang and hang out there until absolutely necessary.  Or if you have family or friends spectating bring an extra umbrella so you can have one and pass it off to them before the race starts!


-Most importantly:  Embrace the suck.  Everybody's in the same boat.  Not many people want to run in adverse weather conditions.  Remain patient with everybody and show extra appreciation for volunteers on the course.  (You think it stinks running in the rain?  Think about how much less fun it is to be standing in it for much longer than it's probably going to take you to run the entire course.)


Post race is also important.  I think one of the best feelings is a hot shower after being out in the cold being rained on and then throwing on sweats so I can stay warm easier.  As far as your running shoes go, be sure to stuff them with newspaper afterwards and put them in a warm place like on top of a dryer while it's running.  The newspaper will help absorb the excess moisture in your shoes so it doesn't grow all kinds of funky bacteria that will shorten the lifespan of your shoes.

4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I ran my half marathon PR in the pouring rain and I'll never forget that! I actually love running in the rain once I get out there, but it's so tough to get out the door sometimes to make it happen. Good luck in your upcoming race, rainy or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran my first half marathon on a drizzly day and minutes after finishing I met up with my family and we started walking back to our cars there was a huge downpour. Made for a memorable race besides it being my first half marathon! Definitely hard to get out the door though if it's just a training run! (Probably one of the perks to having a treadmill for shorter runs.)
      Thanks! I can't wait for this race. I ran it last year while I was sick as a dog so I'm looking forward to PR'ing on the course :-D

      Delete
  2. Have a great run! Running in the rain can be "not fun." Think about the stories you can tell have the race. Embrace all the fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I'm just hoping bribing my husband with shake shack post-race will sweeten the deal for him waiting around with an umbrella for me!
      I think I'm more disappointed that I might not get to wear my fun green hair clips. I picked up some glittery and sequin covered St Patrick's Day themed hair clips about a month ago (one's a big bow and the other is a bowler hat) and they would look a little weird from under the hood of my rain jacket.

      Delete