Tuesday, March 1, 2016

First Outdoor Run of the Season!

My name is Holly...and I'm addicted to my treadmill.  But hear me out!!  I have good reasons.



Like reality tv shows like Top Chef and Teen Mom, which I can't watch on my tv since we don't have cable.  (They make the run go by so much faster!)

And being able to have water within arm's reach and not have to carry it!

And...it's been a rough winter.  Up until yesterday we still had some lingering snow piles in front of our house from the snow plows pushing the snow from the blizzard to the end of our cul-de-sac.

And it's RIGHT THERE!  In my basement.  Some days it's really nice not having to think about where I should go for a run.

Up until Sunday when we had a really nice day that was sunny, in the 60s and no pressing chores or plans.  Then my husband showed me a route from when he used to live with his parents in the area and essentially shoved me out the door.

It was a super hilly 8 mile run.

Over the first and last mile there was an elevation change of 250ft.  That comes to an incline of almost 5% (4.73% if you wanna get technical.)  And yes, I was hurting on Monday and cursing having to walk up and down multiple flights of stairs at my volunteer jobs.  (But admittedly so worth it for my animal friends!)

And why am I probably going to do it again?  Am I a glutton for punishment?  Maybe just a little.  BUT!  Hell -er- Hill training helps come race day.  One of the perks of DC races besides the lovely and historical scenery is they are FLAT!  With my next big distance race being the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, hill training will help build muscle to power up some of those hills which pale in comparison.  (The lowest point is 10 feet above sea level, the highest is a little over 30 feet.)  My time was horrible, but once taking into account how much I've been running on the treadmill and the hills, I don't feel quite so bad about it.  (My average pace for my outdoor run was almost a full minute slower than my last long treadmill run.)  Yes, looking at the numbers made me feel frustrated.  But then looking at that incline?  I don't feel quite so bad.



So this morning after boot camp, I'll be out pounding the pavement again.  All the while remembering that hill training is a necessary evil for race day success!



More info on hill training  (Also check out this link on bungee speed training.  I do this in boot camp fairly often and it is easily one of my favorite exercises!)

33 Days till the Cherry Blossom!!

No comments:

Post a Comment