Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Quick Cherry Blossom Training Update!

Woo!  I've made it through the majority of the intermediate training plan for the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler!  Now here comes the fun part:  Tapering.  The whole philosophy of the taper is to cut back on your running so on race day you're ready to run and full of extra energy.  The intermediate training plan had me running at least a 5k 3 times a week, 4+ miles for a speed workout, and one long run a week.  This week I only have to run 4 days, and next week it's 3 days.  As you can imagine, the taper is both a blessing and a curse.  I've definitely seen it help my running on race day and of course some extra time during the day, but in the meantime I end up with a lot of pent up energy which means I get pretty restless.

Fortunately, one of my tricks to get through the taper is to just keep myself busy with projects!  Thankfully though there are plenty of Cherry Blossom related activities to keep busy in the last few days leading up to the race.  On Thursday Meb Keflezighi will be doing the first of four meet n greets in the area.  (Joan Benoit-Samuelson will also be making an appearance at the Cherry Blossom Expo on Saturday.)  Then I'll be volunteering at the expo on Friday and resting up and drinking lots of water on Saturday.

This also means lots more blog posts will be coming soon on the good luck box my Dad ordered for me, meeting Meb, the expo and of course the race itself!  I'm starting to get SO excited for this year's race.  Can you tell?  Or maybe it's the extra energy from this taper...

No comments:

Post a Comment