Wednesday, March 13, 2019

2018 Jingle All the Way 5k Race Recap

The Jingle All the Way (insert race distance here) has been one of my favorite races for a really long time.  I've basically run it with my Dad every year since I started running.  (Check out my recaps for 2017, 2016, 2015, 2013 and 2012.)  It's such a fun race because costumes are encouraged and the premium is always awesome.  Last year they offered a red, white and blue hat with the reindeer logo (which I wore for this year's race) but this year's hat was purple, light blue, black and white with a festive pattern.  I was so excited to bust out all of my festive running gear that I had been stocking up on throughout the year.  (I keep finding all kinds of great Christmas-themed leggings and tops all year.  So much so that I did three holiday themed runs including this one, and I never wore the same outfit twice.)  I basically end up adding onto my outfit every year, tweaking it just a little bit.  There was also the one year where I had lights, but that didn't last because they just don't stand out for a morning race despite being in the shade and the battery packs were heavy and a little annoying.

I think I’m ready as I’ll ever be for tomorrow morning’s 5k! I’ve got all the layers ready to go—wazzie wool base layer, sweatshirt, lux tights, cheap Christmas tights to go over the warm tights, Christmas sweater skirt, Balega blister resist (wool) socks, Goodr sunglasses, a zensah neck gaiter and the hat from last year’s race. Plus a Christmas stocking on my belt (great pocket for my inhaler!), aftershokz, picky bar (caffeinated for before the race), Garmin and little zippered pouch for my id and wet wipe (perfect for portajohns without hand sanitizer!) Oh and all the bells. I counted 21 in total 😬 Not sneaking up on anyone tomorrow! My water bottle is in the fridge ready to go with cherry limeade Nuun since the water stop has been cancelled due to the cold 🥶 Let’s do this!!! . . #garminfitness #oisellevolée #oiselleteamdmv #balegaimpi #balegaimpi2018 #balegabestsocksever #nuunlife #teamzensah #pickybars #itsarunnerthing #leskolayers #sweatpink #sweatpinkambassador #christmasrunning #jinglealltheway5k #pacersrunning #foreveryrun #aftershokz #shokzsquad #rungoodr #goodr
A post shared by The Thrifty Runner (@thethriftyrunner) on


And this is how it looked after putting on all the layers!  (I also had some bells on my shoes.)


It was a pretty gray day, but could've been worse considering how in previous years we've had all kinds of weather.

The Washington Monument was gorgeous as always!

Leading up to the race, a friend in the Oiselle Volee had messaged me on Facebook and asked if I wanted to run with her.  I was apprehensive at first since it's always a race I do with my Dad so I don't usually meet up with friends, but after the gun goes off we basically go our own speeds and meet up once we've both finished.  I spent the morning texting back and forth my friend and she managed to get there just a couple minutes before the start of the race.  And when I knew she had started heading in my direction, I realized that we had never met up just the two of us.  We had only met a couple times with a mutual friend that was there and we hadn't seen each other in awhile and we were both bundled up.  I suddenly had the realization:  Oh crap.  Will I recognize her?  My Dad and I had seeded ourselves and I let my friend know where to find me, then someone comes through the crowd and she looks up from her phone at me.  Then we kind of do a double take to our phones and realize we found each other in the crowd! Shortly thereafter, the gun went off.  I had told my friend I wanted to get my sub-30 5k and that morning I was feeling good enough that it could be the day.

The first mile was a blur, but by mile 2 I was starting to feel gassed but my friend pressed us on.  Just as we approached the Jefferson Memorial, I needed a walk break.  My stomach was starting to feel a little angry and I needed a moment to let it settle a little bit.  We picked up the pace a little bit until the one hill that I'm well acquainted with from this race and Cherry Blossom.  On elevation maps, it really doesn't look like much. It's a blip.  It's going up 21 feet over 0.2 miles, so it comes to just under a 2% incline on a treadmill.  But after running such a flat course, it felt way harder than it should be.  Then there was that ever so slight downhill to the finish.  I crossed the finish and stopped my Garmin.

30:02.

So.  Freaking.  Close.

We got our mylar blankets, water bottles, and snacks.  I got my medal and after some prodding my friend did too.  (She doesn't usually pick up the medals since she has so many.  But this one was so cute!  The little snowman moves back and forth on a track so it looks like it's running through the snowy city.)  After meeting up with a few others in the Volee, I got a text from my Dad saying he had finished so I said bye to my friends and met with him.  We walked back to the car and stopped at a Panera for coffee and bagels and talked about how our races went.  My Dad was faster than the previous year so he was happy with his time.


This should come as no surprise, but I highly recommend this race.  It is always so much fun because so many people dress up and there's festive music playing at the starting area.  It's a great way to end my racing year with a race that isn't serious at all, but on a course that's fast n flat despite that final hill so you have a really great chance at a PR.

No comments:

Post a Comment