Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Quantico Turkey Trot 10k Race Review

My first race was the Drumstick Dash in Roanoke, VA four years ago.  Since my husband encouraged all of us to run that race together, running a Thanksgiving race has become a family tradition.  This year however since I started working for a local racing events company for race day support, I ended up being on the operations side of the race rather than running it.  That also meant that a Thanksgiving day race would be out of the question, so I suggested to my Dad that he and I go down to Quantico Marine Base and try out their Turkey Trot since it was the weekend before the holiday.

The day before the race my Dad picked up our packets--the usual bib and race shirt along with a few snacks and samples that we've kind of come to expect with any of the Marine Corps' races.  (This time it was more Curate bars and some Tom's of Maine toothpaste!)

Definitely an interesting race shirt! 
(Unlike the MCM10k and marathon, this was just a long sleeved tech shirt.)


For once, I-95 traffic was a dream.  It took my Dad and I only 30 minutes to do a 40 minute drive (also because we took the HOT lanes so the speed limit was slightly increased.)  

Parking was a short walk from the starting area (maybe about 5-10 minutes) and we got there just as the lines for the portajohns were starting to grow.  By the time we got out, they had started the opening ceremony for the kids one mile race.  (It started half an hour before the 10k.)  We then walked over and looked at the various vendors.  They also had a petting zoo with a pony, llama, goat, sheep, duck, a couple chickens and turkeys!  (Seriously!!  How often do you see a live turkey at a turkey trot??)


After that we started watching the kids finish, and I randomly met one of my Oiselle Volee teammates!  (I haven't gotten out with that running group very much, but every time I've worn my Oiselle singlets I run into somebody and have an instant friend.  So cool!!)  

Excited for the start!

The race course was definitely challenging, but doable.  Very hilly similar to this year's MCM10k, but like I said:  Doable.  The first couple of miles were on the road but then miles 2-3 were on trail.  It was fairly narrow at that point so I avoided walking as much as I could.  But I literally felt like I was flying, especially once I started going down the hills.  It reminded me how much I really love trail running.  The rest of the race was through the streets of Quantico Marine Base, which was really interesting to get to see.  (I grew up near Fort Belvoir and since my Father-In-Law is now retired Air Force, I've seen a fair share of military bases as a civilian.)  ...Okay, and because I'm a total nerd and watch the show Quantico.  

This race was kind of a 180 in terms of crowds and course compared to the Richmond Half Marathon I had run the previous weekend.  There were 2 water stops, but not many crowds of people cheering along the course.  (There were some Marines who volunteered as course marshalls cheering on runners.)  Despite that, it was still a fun race.

 The starting line was the same as the Marine Corps Marathon--I love seeing it!  At this point I can only assume that this is the default arch that they use at all of their races.

The timing for the race was just perfect since the wind had not picked up yet and it was chilly but the sun helped keep us runners warm before the race.  (Later that day the high winds triggered a wind advisory for the area.)  It was great getting to see the vivid colors of the trees before the winds destroyed them.


At the end of the race, all the runners received bottled water, gatorade, cheese, a Wegmans fruit twist, a box of snacks (the same from the MCM10k with a curate bar, cup of fruit, breadsticks and cheese dip, and fig bar), and a cup of apple cider.  (No medal for this one.)  After getting some more free lip balm from the Brooks Running booth (I always grab a tube whenever I see them!) my Dad and I headed home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment