Thursday, October 29, 2015

What to wear/bring for the Across the Bay 10k?

Last year's Across the Bay 10k was simply gorgeous.  Partly cloudy, not too windy (even on the bridge itself), and just a little chilly.  (According to my Garmin it was about 45 that day by the time I finished around 8:30.)  I HATE being cold, so I wore fleece lined leggings and a fleece quarter zip jacket with a short sleeved shirt underneath.  By about the halfway point I had my sleeves pushed up and the zipper opened.  After starting to cool off post-race, I was glad to have options to stay warm by zipping up and pushing my sleeves back down.

As runners, we all know how unpredictable the weather can be.  This year was the first year I ran the MCM10k in the rain (other years it has been cold and I had to wear my fleece lined leggings and a fleece jacket.)  Whereas last year was the first year my Dad and I ran the Jingle All the Way 5k where it was chilly, but sunny and all the other years something was falling from the sky (one year it was a wintery mix, the next it was snow.)  One thing is fairly certain about the weather though:  It will be a cool day!  This time of year it is typically in the lower 40s, upper 30s first thing in the morning.  

You may want to have a windbreaker on hand in case it ends up being windy or even rainy.  (Trust me.  You do not want to spend the next week scrambling trying to find a rain jacket comfortable to run in!)  The easiest way to go is to look online for one, since a light rain jacket this time of year can be hard to find.  Many running shops online have them like Brooks, 6pm.com (the Zappos clearance website, I recommend starting by looking at your favorite running brands), LL Bean, and of course Amazon.com.  

Some people will also buy a cheap sweatshirt at a thrift shop to take off shortly before the start.  I've never personally done this, but if you choose to go this route PLEASE be considerate of other runners and the volunteers and put the sweatshirt to the side after taking it off.  All clothing left at the starting area will be donated to Planet Aid.  

Others will put a change of clothes or just a heavy sweatshirt into a bag and check it.  Please note though, unlike a LOT of other bag checks you will need to do this BEFORE race day.  You can drop off your bag at Fleet Feet Annapolis or Severna Park from November 1-7 or at the expo.  You will be allowed to check one bag and can pack clothing, shoes, and unopened, pre-packaged food.  You will NOT be allowed to pack weapons or anything breakable or valuable (electronics, cash, backpacks, or glass.)  If you're not sure if you can bring it, check this page on the race website.  

What SHOULD you bring on race day?

  • A reusable water bottle or hydration pack.  (I have one that straps to my hand to make carrying easier.)  This is semi-optional since the water stops will have water fountains, but NO cups!  
  • ID and cash and/or a credit/debit card.  (Make sure you can secure them to your person.)  There will be alcohol for sale in the finishing area, as well as booths selling food and finisher's merchandise.
  • Your usual running gear, whatever that entails.  (For me it's lip balm, a running belt, road id, Garmin, earphones and phone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment