Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Getting ready for the Across the Bay 10k!

This year will be my second year running the Across the Bay 10k.  I loved it so much last year that this year I'll be dragging my Dad and husband across the bridge with me.  Talking with my Dad during the MCM10k got me thinking of all the things I learned last year that will help me with training and pre-race jitters for this year.
  • One way to get over pre-race jitters?  Another race!  We've still got about a week and a half to go, and there are still plenty of races coming up in DC, Maryland and Virginia that you could still find one to enter.  
  • The race is relatively easy for a 10k--it's a 3% incline for the first mile or so, then afterwards it's ALL downhill!  You can train for these exact conditions on a treadmill easily by just setting the incline for 3% until you hit your first mile then change to 1%, which simulates running outdoors on flat terrain.  
  • You can also go above and beyond with hill training and do higher than 3% inclines.  This is what I've been doing lately: 
For me, 3.6mph is a fast walking pace and 5.3mph is a comfortable running pace.  Once you start increasing the inclines, the run will get progressively harder!  (Your pace may differ than mine.  I average an 11:20 pace on a 10k, but for my most recent 10k my pace was 11:30.)

There are lots of hill workouts out there.  This is one that works for me, but you can also do hill repeats (runs up and down big hills) in your neighborhood, backyard, nearest park, whichever works best for you!  Just be sure not to overdo it.  We're so close to the race that you still want to be careful not to hurt yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment