Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween Special #6: The Worst Witch

The Worst Witch is another classic in my book, and it tells a great story with a good message at its heart.  This one was actually originally a children's book that was the start of a series written by Jill Murphy (and is available in paperback and kindle <editions!)  I personally have never read any of the books out of fear of the movie being forever ruined since I saw the movie first (enough that I can pretty much recite it word for word.)  But I at least have had a sample sent to my kindle just for my own curiosity.

The stars are some of the 80s staples:  Charlotte Rae (from Facts of Life), Diana Rigg (from the Great Muppet Caper), Fairuza Balk (from the Craft and Waterboy), and of course, Tim Curry as the Grand Wizard (which has to be his best role ever!)


The movie focuses on Fairuza Balk's character, Mildred Hubble, who has just started witch's school and it isn't going well.  She's very clumsy and wonders if she is cut out to be a witch.  Fortunately, her sidekick Maud helps keep her in good spirits and assures her that it's just her first year and things will get easier.  The movie starts out by showing an exam where the students have to create a laughter potion, and it is less than successful for Mildred and Maud and their teacher, Miss Hardbroom sends Mildred to Miss Cackle's office to be punished for failing their exam.  Soon the students find out that the Grand Wizard has chosen their school for their Halloween celebration.  The school is busy with preparations for the arrival of the Grand Wizard, including trying out for the broomstick display.  Mildred manages to get on the team, but between trying out and getting on the team her broomstick gets broken.  Mildred's archenemy, Ethel, offers up her broom which she curses to ruin the display for everybody and Mildred gets blamed for it.  She is threatened to be expelled, so the next morning she decides to run away but makes a startling discovery.


To me, the movie's message is to do your best despite what others may think.  You may even surprise yourself!  Definitely a family friendly movie, although there may need to be some explanation in regards to the school being an all girls academy.


To find out what happens, watch the movie I've posted below!  (I do not own the rights to it or the video I posted above.  I am simply posting what I have found on YouTube.)


No comments:

Post a Comment