Wednesday, April 12, 2017

2017 Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race Recap (Part 1: The Expo)

This was my third year (non-consecutive) running the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler.  My first year (2014) I got in through the lottery, then I got into last year and this year's races by volunteering.  In 2015 I chauffeured an elite runner to the airport and then last year and this year I helped at packet pickup by handing out bibs.

So let's start with Friday afternoon at the Expo!

After the quick orientation but before packet pickup opened to the public I got my bib along with one for a friend along with our shirts and commemorative keychains.  (This year was the 45th anniversary for the race!)


I'm glad I did it too because packet pickup was bananas.  I was there from the opening at 3pm to about 5:15 and barely had any time in between runners to take more than a couple breaths, a sip of water or help the other volunteer next to me with her line.  Last year it felt like there was a little bit of time to pin together safety pins or get bags ready so runners get their pins automatically and are ready to go get their shirts.  (This may have been because last year everyone knew well in advance that the weather would be terrible so a lot of people may have decided to not run or pickup their packets.)

Once the second round of volunteers arrived at 5:15, I ran off to get in line to meet Katherine Switzer.  While standing in line I noticed a lot of people were having her sign bibs and loved the idea.  She was signing the majority of them "Be Fearless - K Switzer 261" but I wanted something a little more meaningful.


When Katherine Switzer encountered Jock Semple on the Boston Marathon course 50 years ago, he yelled shouted at her "GIVE ME THOSE NUMBERS!" before her boyfriend and coach pushed him out of the way so she could keep running.  One of my favorite podcasts (Stuff Mom Never Told You) talked about her and Bobbi Gibb running the Boston Marathon.  It's definitely worth a listen!


Afterwards I explored the rest of the expo and got a really cute shirt from Charm City Run along with some new Bondi Bands!


Once I finished shopping it was about time for the volunteer reception, so I grabbed my complimentary beer and killed some time checking emails and instagram before getting in line for the reception.  During the reception it was fun getting to chat with other volunteers and watching others play a giant lawn version of Jenga while listening to live music and enjoying pizza from Mama Lucia and beer from Old Ox Brewery (I tried Golden Ox and it was pretty good.)

Some of the volunteers I spoke with had been on the medical team as volunteers for several years and it was really interesting to get to speak with them.  One of the medical volunteers told me about a fascinating set of volunteers that they have--medical runners!  They essentially give these runners free entry to the race along with a waist pack of basic medical supplies and a reflective vest.  I had never noticed them before (so consider my mind blown) and made a mental note to keep an eye out for them on race day.

After the reception wrapped up I hopped back onto the metro and headed home for the night, ready to work a 5k the next morning and excited to run Sunday morning.

Next:  The Race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment