Thursday, April 7, 2016

Thrifty Thursday!

This week's Thrifty Thursday is a little less exciting, but still some good finds!!

Athleta Batwing and Robin top.  (I have another open front cardigan in the same material but a different pattern that I LOVE and wear all the time.)  Originally $89, paid $11!

Moving Comfort Foxie Full Zip Jacket.  Love the color and it's stylish enough that it probably won't be worn just for running.  (Although the lighter colored panels are a little bit reflective!)

Love the back of this jacket too!  The ruffles make for a nice, feminine touch.  Originally $98, paid $11!

Brooks epiphany long sleeve shirt!  Love the color and the pocket in the right hip that will be great for lip balm and/or tissues!  With the way the weather's been lately I might get to wear it for my race next weekend before putting my long sleeved running shirts away for the season.  Originally $34, paid $7.

Like a lot of runners, I have a Disney race on my bucket list.  So when I came across this shirt and it fit like a dream I decided I had to get it!  (Although I won't feel right wearing it until I actually register for one.  It's a little out of my budget at the moment.)  Originally $37, paid $4.50!

Okay.  I know this next one's a little strange.  But hear me out...
I'm a total biology nerd.  While I was getting my second bachelor's degree in biology I took a zoology class where the big semester project was collecting invertebrate specimens, and then mounting and labelling them properly.  I still have a monarch butterfly that I caught and mounted in my craft room.  (These are labelled incorrectly--it should be the common name, the scientific name, where they were caught and the date.)  From some quick research all three are likely from India!  The large moth in the middle (a male Atlas moth) is the world's largest moth and only live for a few days since they don't have mouths and are used for their silk.  The lime butterfly in the lower left corner is considered to be a pest since it feeds exclusively on citrus plants.  The common tiger butterfly in the lower right corner is similar to monarch butterflies in coloration and that they're difficult for predators to eat since they taste bad and can actually play dead!  So excited for this $3 find.

What did you find while out thrifting this week?  Any good races coming up this weekend??

4 comments:

  1. I'm really jealous you find such neat things at your thrift store! The best thing I ever found was a Gap workout tank for like $2, not even worn but it's a great tank. Maybe I just need to thrift in some different areas... love the Run Disney shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of it is figuring out what thrift shops carry the good stuff and having some luck with your timing. There are a few thrift shops in my area that I don't even bother going to anymore because it takes way more effort to find anything worth buying. Earlier this year I did a post on some thrifting tips that you might find helpful :) http://thriftyrunner.blogspot.com/2016/01/thrifting-tips.html

      Delete
  2. I found Boston Marathon 2015 jackets last week at TJMaxx! $40. I wonder if anyone will buy them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oddly, you're not the first person who's told me that recently. I'm totally tempted to look for one while I'm out tomorrow! Which section was it in because I would totally buy one if I find it. I've run the MCM10k 3 years in a row now and I'm planning on doing it again this year. The merchandise lines are always ridiculously long so I'm always apprehensive about waiting a long time to buy marathon merchandise when I'm just running the 10k.

      Delete