Sunday, February 25, 2018

2017 Turkey Strut 5k Race Review

Running last year's Thanksgiving day Turkey Strut 5k in Winston-Salem was kind of a last minute decision.  I had no idea that I would be able to get to my sister's for Thanksgiving, and when I could be there I jumped at the chance.  The last time I ran this race was in 2015, and enjoyed it so why not do it again?

I was really glad to have packed a lot of warm clothing, because this year it was a little extra chilly. 


As in previous years, the race was held at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds.  It was super easy to find a parking space again, and there was a decent crowd, but nothing terribly overwhelming.  I ended up lining up with the rest of my family who were all walking the race.  This was a HUGE mistake. 

Gun goes off.

I get stuck behind rows and rows of strollers.  And dogs.  SO many dogs.  Like I get it, it's a holiday, there are families from out of town visiting.  (I myself am out of town family at this race.)  But it was frustrating getting stuck behind so many strollers right at the start.  I basically had to run on the grass alongside the course because it was so packed with people.  Fortunately after about a quarter mile, the crowds broke up quite a bit.  The course was the same as last time where it was basically a rolling hill down from the start, mostly flat then having to go back up the hill to the finish. 

My finish time wasn't the best (33:13, I blame the strollers and dogs) but I was happy to finish. 


After getting my medal, I went over and grabbed my post-race snacks and water.  Once again there was a HUGE variety of snacks so I grabbed a banana, a bag of goldfish, and a bag of fruit snacks along with a bottle of water. 


Overall, I would do the race again. It's super convenient, not terribly crowded, and some of your race fee goes towards a local food bank!  (Participants are also encouraged to bring 3 canned goods with them to the race too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment