Friday, December 22, 2017

2017 Marine Corps Marathon Race Recap, Part 3: What I Learned

Recently I ran my first ever marathon ever (the Marine Corps Marathon.)  If you missed the first two parts, here's part 1.  Here's part 2.

I read a lot of articles, blogs and books telling me what to expect about running my first marathon and about the Marine Corps Marathon.  But there were some things that I found worked for me.  After reading so much, I have no idea where I got some of these ideas from, but they might also work for first timers and seasoned marathoners.  (Even if you're not running a full marathon, some of these tips should be helpful!)

Crosstrain. Seriously.

I should've seen my injury coming.  When I trained for my first half marathon, I got IT band Syndrome (or ITBS) in my right leg.  But when my gym closed in July right as I was starting to train, I figured I would be fine and I would do some cross training on my own.  Of course I didn't and just kept putting it off.  So I got ITBS in my left leg this time.

ITBS is basically caused when your IT band gets aggravated by repetitive motion--like running.  The IT Band is a ligament that runs from above your hip (with some connection to your glutes) all the way down your leg and connects below your knee.  It basically acts like a giant rubber band helping your leg snap back when extended.  So, if you make that ligament snap back too much it gets angry.  The anger can surface anywhere along the ligament but typically when I have flare up it is at the hip AND at the knee.  But while running, it literally feels like some outside force is taking that tendon and just twisting it or someone just sucker punched it.  At first it's just a slight nagging as if to say "Hey.  Um, you might want to take it easy."  Then if I try to ignore it, that's when it starts screaming as if to say "HEY!  I TOLD YOU.  TAKE. IT. EASY." then if I keep ignoring it on a run, walking even becomes impossible.

How can you avoid an injury like ITBS?  Cross-training.  How do you help it heal?  A bunch of different things, but I've found that rest, icing, foam rolling and massage helps.  I also tried a variety of straps that are supposed to help, but the only thing that helped was a compression sleeve from Zensah for my knee.

Take in Nutrition Every 30 Minutes.

Back in April on my trip to Boston for the marathon I got to meet a few elites including ultramarathoner Scott Jurek.  I typically try to come up with good questions for elites usually it ends up being "What's your bucket list race?" but this time it was "What's your advice for a first time marathoner?"  He said "Take on nutrition every 30 minutes whether you think you need it or not."  While training and on race day, that's exactly what I did and it worked out perfect.  Pre-run OR pre-race I always drink a 17oz bottle of water with cherry limeade Nuun en route, and eat a picky bar (typically smooth caffeinator) 30 minutes out.  During the run/race itself I used Tailwind.  I also put snacks in my hydration pack that I knew my stomach could tolerate, and on race day I used Run Gum as well.  The snacks I could choose on any given day were chia seed bars from Health Warrior, chia squeeze from Mama Chia, gingersnap waffles from Honey Stinger, and I used their chews as well.

Since race day was hot, the pre-race Nuun helped hydrate me pre-race, and the Tailwind helped maintain it and provide calories.  After about 30 minutes of running I was ready to start sipping on my Tailwind and I tried my best to keep up with that.  I also took comfort in that I had "safe" snacks on hand if I wanted something to chew.  (I didn't really eat too many snacks since I was feeling pretty good.)  After separating from the pace group at the halfway point, I started taking water at the stops and that helped too.

By the time I got to the end of the race, I wasn't too hungry or thirsty.  I was just hurting from moving my feet for so long.

Join a Running Group.

This basically saved my butt a few times, because it gave me people to run with and learn new routes.  I'm a member of Moms Run This Town/She Runs This Town and despite the name, you don't have to have kids to join.  It's a free running group for women and you can join in group runs as little or as much as you like.  If you join an active group, chances are very good that you can find somebody else who's a similar pace and wants to run a similar distance.  Having that kind of accountability is everything when you're training through the summer for a fall race.

Keep It Simple.

I know I look a little ridiculous on runs with all the stuff I have--my headphones, Garmin, Road ID, sunglasses, hat, hydration pack, phone, and of course snacks.  But the one place I keep it simple?  My clothing.  The top I wore while training and on race day was a Oiselle Flyte Tank.  There are only 3 "seams" on the entire tank--at the top on the straps and around the neckline.  Less seams mean fewer chances of chafing.  I do the same for my bottoms as well, which for most races is the Be Free Knicker from Athleta.  (Added bonus?  POCKETS!)  You would be surprised with how much running gear has an overabundance of seams.  (Seriously, what is up with all the panels on your shirts, and tights, Fila?)

Stick to Your Training.

I'm sure this one will be a little more controversial, but hear me out.  I had to stop my long runs after hitting 19 miles, more than a month out from the race.  Then I barely got in any runs because of my injury flaring up so quickly into a run.  Sure, it was a legitimate excuse, but I feel that if I was able to stay closer to the training schedule and actually do my 20 mile run then I might not have been in general pain at mile 17. But this is tough to gauge too, although while I was ramping up my weekly mileage I wasn't in AS much pain, but with the marathon it was my longest distance overall so it's hard to say.  (But in the month of October, I only got in three runs before my marathon.  So...yeah.)


Overall, I really enjoyed going through the experience of running a marathon.  Will I ever run another?  Who knows.  I've learned to never say never because I also said I'd never run a marathon.  Watching Boston last year was inspirational, and maybe it will inspire me again this coming year.  One thing is for sure though:  I need to heal completely before I even think of signing up for another!  Currently I'm on track for recovery.  I signed up for a new gym that opens next month, I'm still running but not as far, starting to cross train more and I'm wearing my knee sleeve while running and cross training.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your injury! Crosstraining is very important once you start adding in those miles. However, congrats for completing your marathon and giving it your all! Your fuel strategy sounds great BTW.

    ReplyDelete